Amazing Homemade Rolls
Every mother has her arsenal of recipes and it should include at least one recipe for soft and fluffy rolls.
Especially now that it’s back to school time (more or less) and rolls are a lunchbox staple. If you don’t already have such a recipe then look no further! This dough is fantastic and you can customize the rolls to make any shape you want – round, long, knots, anything goes. You really can’t beat the taste and texture of homemade rolls I prepared a video clip to make preparation super easy for you.
Makes 8 rolls
400 grams flour (3 cups minus 2 Tbsp)
11 grams dry yeast (1 Tbsp)
or 25 grams fresh yeast
40 g sugar (2 Tbsp)
1 tsp salt
260 grams warm milk (1 cup + 2 Tbsp)
80 grams softened butter
1 Tbsp honey
1. In the bowl of a mixer, use the hook attachment to mix together the flour, yeast, sugar, salt and milk. As soon as the dough starts to come together, stop the mixer and add the butter, and continue processing the ingredients for a few more minutes until you get a soft and smooth dough.
2. Gather the dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl and cover. Let rise 1.5-2 hours or until doubled in size.
3. Divide the dough into 8 pieces, form into balls and let rise for 10 minutes. Take a ball of dough and roll into a long thin oval and roll up.
4. Arrange on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, ensuring there is ample space between the logs and let rise for 15-20 minutes.
5. Preheat an oven to 180°C. Beat an egg with the honey and brush the buns with it. Sprinkle generously with sesame seeds and bake for around 20 minutes until golden.
Good to know…
For dairy-free rolls, replace the butter with one third of a cup of oil, and the milk with water. Freezer-friendly.