Apple meringue tart
This is one of those fashioned cakes that our grandmas used to make. I love old-fashioned recipes that have withstood the test of time, and this is one of them! A shortcrust pastry base topped by a layer of apples, topped by a layer of soft and delicious meringue. Three layers, each with its own taste and texture. Perfection! When the cake is in the oven, the whole kitchen smells of apples baking, and the meringue gets a beautiful golden color. An easy and tasty classic cake.
24 cm baking pan
To prepare the base:
100 grams butter
140 grams flour (cup)
80 grams sugar (1/3 cup)
1 Tbsp tap water
For the apple layer:
4 large apples
2 heaped Tbsp honey
50 grams butter
For the meringue layer:
3 egg whites
60 grams sugar (3 Tbsp)
1. Peel the apples and cut into thin slices. Head a pan and add the butter and honey, then the apples and cook for around 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. The apples are meant to be soft. Remove and let drain on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb all the liquids.
2. Cut the butter into small cubes and transfer to the bowl of a mixer. Add the flour, sugar, and water, and mix on relatively low speed with the hook attachment until you get a coarse crumb consistency. Stop the mixer and gather the dough into a ball.
3. Preheat an oven to 180°C
4. Grease a baking pan and flatten the dough onto the bottom of the pan. Make sure you use your fingertips to create an even layer of dough over the entire bottom.
5. Bake the base for around 20 minutes until it turns a light golden color. Let cool.
6. Arrange the apple slices in an overlapping layer over the base. Place the egg whites in the bowl of a mixer and whip on medium speed with the balloon attachment, adding the sugar gradually. When all the sugar has been incorporated, turn the speed up to high until you get stiff peaks.
7. Fill a piping bag with the meringue mixture and pipe over the apple layer.
8. Preheat an oven to 180°C. Place the cake in the upper part of the oven and bake for around 30 minutes until the meringue is a nice golden color.