Baked Sweet Potato Fritters
These fritters have been a hit over Hanukkah for many years now, tried and tested by thousands of visitors on my site. You can make them all year around, not just on Hanukkah. They really are so tasty! Serve them with a sour cream dip and you’ll be hooked!
Makes approx. 20 fritters
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 large onion
30 grams butter / 3-4 Tbsp oil
1/4 cup bread crumbs, or slightly more / flour
2-3 Tbsp chopped parsley
Ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
Sour cream dip:
200 grams sour cream
1 tsp minced garlic
1 heaped tsp mayonaise
2 Tbsp chopped chives
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Peel the sweet potatoes and the potato. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the sweet potatoes and potato and cook until soft. Mash together with the butter and add the breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, and seasoning.
2. Chop the onion, put two Tbsp of oil in a pan and fry the onion until golden.
3. Preheat an oven to 180°C.
4. Line a baking tray with greased parchment paper. Wet hands and shape the mixture into patties, and place on the baking tray.
5. Bake for around 25 minutes or until golden. Don’t try and flip the fritters before the time is up. Flip and bake on the other side for 15 minutes more or until golden.
*6. Mix all the dip ingredients together and serve with the fritters.
Good to know…
You can substitute the butter with oil, and the breadcrumbs can be substituted with the same quantity of flour. These fritters aren’t suitable for frying.
You can prepare these and place in the fridge, unbaked, for a few hours or a day in advance, and then bake them.
You should wet your hands before you start forming the fritters, and keep wetting to avoid the mixture sticking to your hands.
Double the recipe. Trust me, they’re amazing.