*Broccoli and potato fritters
I love the crispiness of the broccoli and the gorgeous color of these fritters. I’ve always had a hard time resisting fritters. They taste so wonderful and make such a great main dish for a meat free meal. Just add some cheeses, and a salad, and enjoy each bite! I’m just warning you that these sometimes don’t even make it to the plate, they’re devoured straight out of the pan.
Makes 20 fritters
3 heads of broccoli
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp salt
1. Cut the broccoli stem off and leave only the florets. Bring a pot of water to boil and cook the broccoli until it softens, around 5-6 minutes. It’s important not to overcook so it stays tender crisp. Drain.
2. Dice the onion. Place 2-3 Tbsp of oil in a pan and fry the onion until golden. Place in a bowl.
3. Chop the broccoli as finely as possible (important) and add to the onion.
4. Peel the potato, grate, and add to the broccoli. Add the other ingredients and form patties. Flatten and gently squeeze to remove any excess moisture.
5. Add 3 Tbsp of oil to the pan and fry the fritters on both sides until golden. Place on a plate lined with paper towel.
6. If you want to bake, not fry: Preheat an oven to 180°C. Line a tray with greased parchment paper and place fritters on the paper. Bake for around 25 minutes or until golden. Don’t try and flip the fritters before the time is up. Flip and bake on the other side for 15 minutes or until golden.
7. For a final touch, serve with this dip, it’s heavenly!
Good to know…
You can make the fritters a day beforehand. They can be served at room temperature, and are perfect for picnics.