Cabbage and Veggie Fritters
These fritters are absolutely amazing. Do you want to know what makes them so irresistible?
The secret ingredient here is cabbage. It really lends a unique and delicious flavor and texture. I’ve fallen in love with cabbage and it works beautifully in fritters. When you take a bite, the cabbage is crunchy and delicious and you’ll want another bite, and another fritter, and so on and so forth.
Trust me, this is one of the best fritter recipes I’ve ever made and I bet once you try them the recipe will feature regularly at your table.
Makes 20 fritters
Half a head of cabbage (3 – 4 cups)
3 medium potatoes
1 zucchini / carrot
1 clove of garlic, chopped
3/4 cup flour
Ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1. Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil. Cook the potato until fork tender, drain, and mash in a large bowl.
2. Chop the cabbage as finely as possible. Heat a pan with 3 Tbsp. of oil, sauté the cabbage on high heat for around 5 minutes. The cabbage should soften but still retain its crunch. When done, add to the mashed potato.
3. Chop the onion and sauté for around two minutes. Chop the garlic and add to the pan with the onion, sautéing for another minute.
4. Grate the two remaining potatoes (squeeze some of the moisture out of them) and the carrot and add to the bowl with the other ingredients.
5. Add the flour and seasoning and mix everything together until well combined.
6. Heat a pan with some oil. Form into patties and fry on both sides until golden. Gently flip so that the fritters don’t fall apart, wait patiently until nice and golden and only then flip them over.
If you want to bake in the oven: Preheat an oven to 180°C. Line a tray with greased parchment paper and nicely arrange fritters on the paper. Bake for around 25 minutes or until golden. Don’t try and flip the fritters before the time is up. Flip and bake on the other side for 15 minutes or until golden.
Good to know…
You can make these a day before and heat them in the oven before serving. Also great served at room temperature, wonderful for picnics.