Cheese and mushroom lasagna
Lasagna is one of the tastiest dishes and this mushroom version is perfect. I never manage to stop at one helping. This makes a great lunch or dinner, especially since it’s so easy to prepare and is always a crowd pleaser!
20 x 30 cm baking dish
2 chopped onions
2 cloves of garlic
20 champignon mushrooms
100 grams tomato paste (2 Tbsp)
200 grams grated mozzarella cheese (or any hard cheese of choice)
50 grams grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 Tbsp chicken bouillon
Ground black pepper
Salt (if needed, to taste)
1. Bring a pot of water to the boil. Score the tops of the tomatoes and drop them in the boiling water. Cook for 2-3 minutes and drain.
2. Finely chop the onion, put 2-3 Tbsp of oil in a pan and sauté the onion until slightly golden. Chop the garlic and add to the onion for one minute while stirring.
3. Slice the mushrooms and add to the onion, sautéing for around two minutes. Finely dice the tomatoes and add to the onion along with the water and other ingredients. Cook for 10 minutes while stirring. Another option is to blend the tomatoes to a chunky sauce and then to add to the onion. Taste and adjust seasoning.
4. Preheat an oven to 180°C.
5. Arrange a layer of lasagna noodles in the baking dish, then evenly cover with half of the sauce. Place another layer of lasagna noodles on top and then the rest of the sauce.
6. Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake for around 25 minutes.
Good to know…
This is best prepared the day before. Freezer-friendly. You can keep this in the fridge for up to three days.