My kids love cheesecakes and I think that this is the cake that I make the most often, and believe me I make a lot of different cakes. This is also one of my favorites since you don’t need a mixer or any fancy equipment. Just mix it all together with a whisk in one bowl. Less fuss, less mess. This is a perfect cake to eat with a cup of tea or coffee.
Round 22 cm cake pan
2 large eggs
200 grams sugar (1 cup)
400 grams sour cream
500 grams soft white cheese
1 Tbsp instant vanilla pudding powder mix
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1. Before you start, take a clean cheesecloth and pour the cheese in the middle and tie the ends together to make a type of sac. Hang over the sink for at least two hours, even longer. You can also place the sac inside a fine mesh sieve and raise it up so the liquid can seep out.
2. Preheat an oven to 230°C.
3. Using a hand-held whisk, whisk together the eggs and sugar for around a minute and add the strained cheese and the sour cream. There will be liquid on top, just pour it out and add to the cheese. Whisk until smooth. Add the flour, the vanilla pudding mix, and whisk until well combined.
4. Place a baking dish with boiling water on the bottom of the oven.
5. Transfer the batter to a greased baking pan and bake for 10-15 minutes. Lower the heat to 150°C and bake for another 30 minutes until the center is still slightly wobbly and the edges have set.
6. Let cool for a few hours. You can grate some milk chocolate on top but you don’t have to
Good to know…
This cake doesn’t actually rise during baking. You can make it up to
three days in advance and keep in the fridge. The flavor only improves with each passing day.
You don’t need a mixer for this recipe, only a regular whisk.