Chinese style chicken and rice
This is my kids’ favorite rice so I took advantage of the chicken breast I had and added it to the rice, which resulted in a meal that my kids loved! This is one of the best rice dishes I’ve made.
Makes 5 servings
300 grams chicken breast, cut into small cubes
5 Tbsp olive oil
1 level tsp paprika
1/2 tsp rotisserie chicken spice
1 tsp minced garlic
3/4 Tbsp chicken bouillon
2 cups basmati rice
3 cups water
3 Tbsp thin noodles
1 cup carrots and peas
1 tsp soy sauce
1 clove of garlic
1 Tbsp honey
1. Place the chicken, olive oil and spices in a bowl, mix well and let marinate for around an hour. Place the rice in a bowl and cover with water, let soak for 15 minutes, then drain.
2. Heat a pan with 3 Tbsp of oil and add the noodles, sautéing until golden. Add the rice, water and salt and bring to a boil. Cover and lower the heat. Cook for 18 minutes and leave covered for an additional 10 minutes.
3. Dice the onion. Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a pan and add the onion. Sauté until golden. Slice the garlic and add to the pan to sauté with the onion. Add the peas and carrots and sauté for around two minutes, then add the soy sauce, honey, and season with salt.
4. Heat a separate pan with 4 Tbsp of oil. Stir-fry the chicken breast for around two minutes then remove to a plate.
5. Transfer the prepared rice to a large pan with a bit of oil. Make a little well in the middle, add some oil, beat the eggs and pour into the well and scramble until done. Mix everything together.
6. Add the vegetables to the pan and mix with the rice. Add the chicken breast and mix together, then serve.
Good to know…
You can make this without the noodles. If cooking regular rice, you can skip the pre-soak step. You can substitute boneless skinless chicken thighs for the breast.