Chinese vegetable fried rice with egg
My kids love this rice, it’s really fantastic. The vegetables and the eggs lend a great addition to the rice. I highly recommend you make it.
Makes 5 servings
2 cups rice
3 cups water
1 cup carrots and peas
3 cloves of garlic
Salt – pepper
1. Add the oil to a hot pan / pot. Add the rice and stir it until all the grains are coated in oil.
Add the water and two tsp of salt. Bring to a boil and lower the heat, cover, and cook the rice for around 18 minutes, then turn off the heat. Leave covered for 10 more minutes, uncover the pot and fluff with a fork.
2. In the meantime, heat 3 Tbsp of oil in a pan. Finely chop the carrot and stir-fry it. Finely chop the pepper and add it to the pan. Chop the onion and garlic and add to the pan as well.
3. If the peas and carrots aren’t frozen, add them as is. If you don’t have the patience to wait for them to thaw, cook them for 2 minutes in boiling water and drain. Add them to the other vegetables and stir-fry for around 2 minutes. Add 3/4 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and honey.
4. Transfer the rice to a large shallow pot, push the rice to the sides of the pot, creating a well in the center, and add 2 Tbsp of oil.
5. Beat the two eggs and pour into the well. Scramble them until cooked and then mix in with the rice. Add the vegetables and stir-fry everything together for another minute.