Chocolate and cream cake recipe
This is one of the easiest cakes I’ve made. Even though it looks really fancy, it was practically effortless to make and the result is fantastic. How can you go wrong with chocolate and vanilla cream?
This is one of the first cakes I ever made and it really takes me back. You know those recipes that you’ll always revisit?
So much nostalgia and love for this cake. My kids grew up eating this cake and it brings back a lot of great memories.
20 x 30 cm pan
200 grams bittersweet chocolate
150 grams melted butter
150 grams sugar (3/4 cup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
100 grams flour (3/4 cup)
250 ml whipping cream
80 grams instant vanilla pudding powder mix (4 Tbsp)
240 ml milk (1 cup)
1/2 tsp instant coffee granules
50 grams bittersweet chocolate
1. Preheat an oven to 180°C.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave and mix until well combined. Add the sugar and mix. Then add the eggs, one at a time, mixing rapidly after each egg. Add the vanilla and flour and mix until well combined (the batter will be a bit stiff).
3. Transfer evenly to a baking dish and bake for around 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with moist crumbs. Remove from the oven and let cool.
4. Whip together whipping cream, instant vanilla pudding mix, milk and instant coffee until you get a stiff cream and then spread it over the base.
5. Refrigerate for 5-6 minutes before serving, or less if you can’t wait.
Good to know…
Freezer-friendly. You can substitute the butter for a generous 1/3 cup oil. You can substitute the whipping cream and milk with non-dairy cream. You can make this a week in advance and keep it in the freezer.