Chocolate nougat mousse cake
This is an impressive dessert that you won’t have to work hard to prepare.
It’s beautiful, delicious, and easy to make. Perfect, no? Your family and friends will be really impressed, and between us, you don’t have to tell them what a cinch it was to make.
24” baking pan
200 grams sugar (1 cup)
1 heaped Tbsp cocoa
2 Tbsp powdered chocolate drink mix powder
1 Tbsp ground almonds / walnuts
For the vanilla nougat mousse:
375 ml whipping cream
80 grams instant vanilla pudding powder mix (4 Tbsp)
180 ml milk (3/4 cup)
2 tsp nougat powder / instant coffee granules
For the chocolate cream:
150 grams bittersweet chocolate
200 ml whipping cream (a little over 3/4 cup)
1. Preheat an oven to 180°C.
2. Separate the eggs, place the whites in the bowl of a mixer, add the sugar and whip until you get stiff peaks. Add the yolks one at a time and fold them into the whites until well incorporated. This takes time and a bit of patience.
3. Mix the cocoa powder, chocolate drink mix powder and almonds and fold into the egg whites. Grease a baking pan and evenly pour in the batter. Bake for 35 minutes. Note that the bottom rises, and it’ll look like the pan is full and that there’s no place for the mousse to go. Be patient. When it comes out of the oven, carefully separate the sides of the base from the pan using a knife and let it settle a bit. You’ll see how it shrinks. Let cool for around 30 minutes.
4. To prepare the vanilla nougat mousse:
Whip together whipping cream, instant vanilla pudding mix, milk and instant coffee until you get a stable cream and then evenly spread it over the base. Freeze for an hour.
5. To prepare the chocolate cream:
Break the cream into squares and place in a bowl. Heat the cream in a small saucepan until almost boiling. Remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate squares and mix until smooth and well combined.
6. Evenly pour the chocolate cream over the cake so it covers the entire top layer. Freeze for six hours, then place in the fridge for an hour and a half before serving.
Good to know…
You can prepare this without the almonds or nuts in the base. You can substitute the chocolate drink mix powder with 1 Tbsp cocoa powder + 3 Tbsp sugar. You don’t have to freeze it at the end. Instead, you can refrigerate it for 10 hours before serving.
You can make this up to a week and a half in advance and keep it in the freezer.
You can make this without the nougat / instant coffee. Don’t like chocolate? You can leave out the top layer. You can decorate with strawberries / candies.
For a non-dairy version use the same amount of non-dairy cream substitute, and soy milk or non-dairy cream instead of the milk.