Colorful coconut squares
This is such a cool recipe! A homemade pink coconut treat. Can I please tell you how excited I got from these squares?
It looks complicated to make but the opposite is actually true. A wonderful treat for the family and it even freezes well so you have some set aside for another time. I photographed each step to make things easy and clear.
I’m just warning you people, these are addictive!
Take a break from cakes and cookies and enjoy something a little different that’s easy and delicious. And don’t forget to freeze some, so they don’t disappear all at once.
Makes 60-70 squares
800 ml canned coconut cream (2 cans)
400 grams ground coconut (4 cups)
200 grams sugar (1 cup)
250 grams white chocolate
100 grams butter
14 grams gelatin (one sachet)
60 ml milk (1/4 cup)
Pink or red food coloring
1. Pour the coconut cream into a heated pan and add the sugar. Mix until completely dissolved and then add the chocolate. Stir until it melts, which takes some time. Keep stirring so you get a nice smooth consistency.
2. Add the butter and stir until it melts completely and then remove from the heat. Add the ground coconut and mix until well combined.
3. Mix the gelatin with the quarter cup milk, wait 10 minutes and them microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir and check that the gelatin has dissolved completely. Take 3 Tbsp of the coconut mixture and mix with the gelatin and then mix that back in with the rest of the coconut mixture.
3. Divide the mixture into two bowls. Add a bit of food coloring to one bowl and mix until you get an even color.
4. Line a tray with parchment paper and evenly transfer the colorful mixture to the tray. Freeze for 45 minutes. Remove from the freezer and evenly pour the white mixture on top and freeze for an additional 3 hours.
5. Defrost for 30 minutes and cut into squares.
Good to know…
After defrosting you can keep these in the fridge. If you want something non-dairy, look for a different recipe.