Dairy free chocolate muffins
These muffins took me 5 minutes to prepare and the oven did the rest of the work. Every mom needs to have a few easy recipes like these in her arsenal. If I have guests on the way or my kids feel like having something sweet, I need a quick recipe that I can just whip up in no time with no fuss.
These muffins are exactly that kind of recipe. I love making them in the mini version, so I get a large yield and I freeze whatever is left over.
Makes 14 large muffins or 50 mini muffins
50 grams bittersweet chocolateDairy free
2 heaped Tbsp chocolate drink mix powder
200 grams sugar (1 cup)
280 grams flour (2 cups)
2 tsp baking powder
120 ml oil (1/2 cup)
180 ml water (3/4 cup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the chocolate frosting (not mandatory):
100 grams bittersweet chocolate
120 ml whipping cream / non-dairy substitute (1/2 cup)
1. Break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted. Mix until smooth and there are no lumps.
2. Beat together the eggs and sugar for a few seconds and add the melted chocolate and mix until well combined. Then add the chocolate powder mix, oil and water.
3. Add the flour and the baking powder and mix until well combined and smooth.
Another option for making these with a mixer:
Place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of a mixer and beat together for 10 seconds at high speed. Lower the speed to low and add the melted chocolate until well incorporated. Add the oil and water and finally the flour and baking powder. Beat at low speed until everything is well incorporated and smooth.
4. Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full and bake for around 20 minutes.
5. To prepare the frosting:
Heat a saucepan with the cream and remove from the heat just before it starts to boil. Break up the chocolate into small pieces and add to the cream and mix until well combined, smooth and there are no lumps. You can also do this in the microwave.
6. Coat the muffins with the chocolate cream.
Good to know…