Fish and lentil patties in a spicy sauce
I love to go the extra mile when I entertain. Good quality ingredients will give a better result.
I consider fish a classic first course. I used sea bream here, which is an excellent fish. I added lentils, a lot of onion, and hot peppers of course, because I wanted a spicy sauce to go with my honey challah.
The sight of the full pot and the amazing smells coming from it were exciting! I put a lot of onion in, and the garlic is also noticeable. I had two first courses because I also made soup. I love when there’s a variety and people can choose what they want, even if it’s both!
Makes 20 patties
500 grams fresh ground white fish
1 medium potato
1 tsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp red lentils
Ground black pepper
3/4 Tbsp chicken bouillon
For the sauce:
4 cloves of garlic
1 hot green pepper
2 cups water
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp Moroccan paprika
1/3 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp chicken bouillon
Ground black pepper
1. Place 2 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil. Add the lentils, cook for 15 minutes and drain.
2. Dice the onions, heat a pan with 2 Tbsp of oil and sauté the onion until golden, then transfer to a bowl. Chop 1/3 of a bunch of parsley and 1/3 of a bunch of cilantro and add to the onion. Grate the potato and add to the fish along with the lentils and the other ingredients.
3. Form small patties and refrigerate for around an hour.
4. To prepare the sauce:
Dice the onion and the pepper and slice the garlic. Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a pan and add the onion. Sauté until it starts to get golden, then add the garlic and the pepper for around 2 minutes while stirring.
5. Grate the tomato and add water, sugar and spices. Cook for around 20 minutes.
6. Add the patties and cook, partially covered, for 20 minutes, gently shaking the pan occasionally.
Good to know…
You can make these without the lentils, and also leave out the spicy pepper. You can use any type of fish you like.