Garlic bread with spinach and cheese
I love spinach, and pastries with spinach and cheese are the best! They make an incredible accompaniment to any meal. I wanted something easy without requiring too much of an effort and without having to make a dough. I wanted to use what I had on hand at home. The result was an incredibly tasty garlic bread with spinach and cheese.
The only thing I regret is that there wasn’t more!
If you’re having guests and want to serve easy finger-food that will please a crowd, make a tray of these, everyone will thank you for it! It’ll be a hit.
80 grams softened butter
1 tsp minced garlic
1/3 tsp salt
500 grams spinach
3 Tbsp cottage cheese
50 grams Bulgarian/feta cheese
50 grams grated cheese of choice
To top off – 80 grams grated cheese of choice
1. First of all, I recommend buying baby spinach. It comes in ready to eat bags and has a mild flavor and texture.Its leaves are smaller and softer, and you don’t have to chop them up, you can use them as is. The larger spinach with the stem requires thorough washing and trimming, and frankly, who has the time or patience for that? Also, you end up with less spinach.
2. Cook the spinach for 5 minutes in boiling water, drain and set aside in a colander for around 2 hours, giving the spinach a squeeze every so often to get rid of the moisture. I recommend doing this the day before.
If you’re using the thicker spinach with the stems, now’s the time to chop it so you are left with only the leaves.
3. Slice each roll lengthwise and remove the insides. Mix together butter, garlic, and salt, and spread the mixture generously inside each roll.
4. Preheat an oven to 180°C.
5. Chop the onions, heat 2 Tbsp of oil and saute until golden. Chop the spinach and mix with the cottage cheese, egg and yellow cheese. Add salt and the onion. Fill the rolls with the spinach mixture and sprinkle with grated cheese.
6. Cover with tin foil and bake for 15 minutes.