The meat is slow cooked until tender, and all the flavors blend so nicely together. Comfort food at its finest! Be prepared to fall in love. This dish is truly irresistible.
Makes 4 servings
1 kg stew meat cut into small chunks (any slow-cook cut will do)
1 large onion
1 tsp flour
3 cloves of garlic
1 hot green pepper
1 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp chicken bouillon
Ground black pepper
Salt (to taste)
1. Heat a pot and add a few Tbsp of oil. Chop the onion and sauté until golden, stirring occasionally. Slice the garlic and add to the pot. Keep stirring.
2. Add the chunks of meat to the pot and sauté, ensuring all sides of the meat get browned.
3. Blanch the tomatoes and dice. If you’re not sure how, click on the link to see a detailed explanations, with photos.Looks easy once you’ve seen the photos, right? You can also just skip this stage if you can’t be bothered.
4. Add the diced tomatoes to the pot along with the tomato paste, sugar, and spices. Cover everything with water.
5. Cover partially. Mix half a cup of water with the flour, and add to the pot. Cook for around 2.5 hours.
*6. Dice the potatoes, carrots, and pepper and add to the pot. Stir and cook until everything is tender. Stir occasionally and add water if necessary.
Good to know…
The most important thing with this recipe is patience. It takes 3.5-4 hours until the meat is ready. you don’t have to add the carrot if you don’t want to.
This recipe is spicy. If you want a milder version, just put less pepper.
The flour is optional, you can leave it out if you want. If you like onions, add another one, it’ll only improve the flavor.
You can make this one or even two days in advance. You can freeze it without the potatoes.
This recipe isn’t sweet. If you want, you can add 2 tablespoons of sugar or honey for added sweetness.
The gravy is amazing, especially mopped up with some fresh bread. Finger licking good!