Leek and veggie fritters
I’m already starting to think about Rosh Hashana. You might think that it’s too soon but not at all! This year, Rosh Hashana is early and the earlier you start preparing, the better.
I always have a leek fritter recipe for Rosh Hashana, it’s one of the most popular recipes for the holiday. I wanted to try something a bit different and I added other veggies to the recipe for the taste and appearance and the result was beautiful and delicious leek fritters.
I make a lot of different types of fritters with tons of veggies and this year I have to say that leek fritters is one of the best I’ve ever made. There’s something about leeks that adds a great flavor and special texture to the fritters, it’s no wonder that they’re so popular on Rosh Hashana.
Makes 35 fritters
3 leeks weighing 1 kg
3 medium potatoes
1 medium sweet potato
100 grams flour (1/2 cup + 3 Tbsp)
2 Tbsp oil
1 tsp salt
1. Cut off the dark green part of the leek, meaning the bottom part and a bit of the top part. You should be left with around 800 grams of leek. Rinse them well and dice. Heat a pot with boiling salted water and cook the leeks for around 15 minutes, then transfer to a colander.
Rinse them well and dice. Heat a pot with boiling salted water and cook the leeks for around 15 minutes, then transfer to a colander.
2. Leave the leek in the colander for 2-3 hours, squeezing occasionally to extract fluid. Finally, transfer to a bowl.
3. In the meantime, heat a pot with water, peel two potatoes and cook them until tender. Mash them and add to the leek, grate the sweet potato, zucchini, and remaining potato.
4. Add the egg, flour, and salt, and mix until well combined.
5. Heat a few Tbsp of oil in a pan, wet hands and form fritters, flatten slightly and fry in the pan until golden. Flip and fry the other side until golden as well.
6. If you want to bake, not fry: Preheat an oven to 180°C. Line a tray with greased parchment paper and place fritters on the paper. Bake for around 25 minutes or until golden. Don’t try and flip the fritters before the time is up. Flip and bake on the other side for 15 minutes or until golden.
Served with green beans and stir-fried vegetables and dried tomatoes.
Good to know…
You can make these a day before and heat them in the oven before serving. Also great served at room temperature. Perfect for picnics.
Want to make Potato Latkes Click here.
Double the recipe. Trust me, they’re amazing. The batter cannot be made ahead of time. Work quickly because a lot of water will drain out of the vegetables.