Maamoul Cookies Filled with Nuts and Dates
These are a sweet and tasty treat on their own or served with an iced coffee. I love walnuts and am always looking to incorporate them into recipes.
In fact, the first thing I thought of making was maamoul cookies. The combination of walnuts, dates and cinnamon cannot be beat. The maamoul dough is wonderfully flaky and buttery, and delicious on its own, but with this superb filling it’s next level stuff.
My only regret is not making more, they were so good.
So don’t make the same mistake I did 🙂 Pair with this wonderful coffee and have a great day.
Makes 20 cookies
150 grams cold butter
100 grams sugar (1/2 cup)
80 grams semolina
250 grams flour (2 cups minus 3 Tbsp)
1.5 tsp orange flower water
For the filling:
3 Tbsp date spread
70 grams crushed walnuts
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Cut the butter into cubes and place in a mixer with the other ingredients. Process until you get a coarse crumb consistency. Stop and collect into a ball.
2. Cut the ball in half and roll each half out into a rectangle.
3. Place a heaped tablespoon of the date spread and spread it over the dough. Sprinkle with the crushed walnuts and cinnamon and roll up. Tighten each roll and flatten a bit with your fingers.
4. Cut the roll into 5 cm thick slices and arrange on a baking tray.
5. Preheat an oven to 180°C and bake the cookies for around 25 minutes until the bottoms are golden.