I love the combination of chocolate and coffee.
And I especially love desserts that you mix in one bowl and then let the oven do most of the work.
This recipe ticks all the boxes and makes wonderful moist and chocolatey brownies. The coffee really adds another flavor dimension. And the walnuts add their own flavor and crunch. You won’t believe how quickly this all comes together and how tasty it is. And it’s even non-dairy.
20 x 30 cm baking dish
200 grams bittersweet chocolate
160 ml oil (a little under 3/4 cup)
2 tsp instant coffee granules
2 tsp real vanilla extract / vanilla sugar
100 grams light brown sugar (1/2 cup)
150 grams sugar (3/4 cup)
4 large eggs
50 grams chopped / crushed walnuts
130 grams flour (1 cup minus 1 Tbsp)
1. Preheat an oven to 180°C.
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan, break up the chocolate into squares and add to the oil. When the chocolate starts to soften, turn off the heat and mix until well combined and smooth.
3. Add the sugars and mix and well combined, then add the eggs, one at a time, making sure each egg is well incorporated in the batter before adding the next one. Add the coffee granules, mix, then add the walnuts and the flour.
4. Grease the pan or line it with parchment paper, pour in the batter in an even layer.
5. Bake for around 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with moist crumbs.
6. Cool for a few hours and cut into squares.
Good to know…
Freezer-friendly. You can also make these a day or two in advance and keep in the fridge.
These don’t need to be refrigerated. You can keep them on the countertop. Not crazy about coffee? Leave it out.