LARGE ORANGE CAKE
Can I brag a bit ? I worked on this cake for a few hours and it was well worth the effort. I actually couldn’t believe how incredibly perfect it came out. It looked and tasted like something from a bakery. Kids love this cake as well.
Exactly like my son wanted. So happy birthday my sweet boy.
30 cm x 40 cm baking pan
1.5 cups orange juice
440 grams sugar (2 cups + 2 Tbsp)
560 grams self-raising flour (4 cups)
240 ml oil (1 cup)
2 heaped Tbsp chocolate drink mix powder (like Nesquik)
250 ml whipping cream
200 grams bittersweet chocolate
1. Preheat an oven to 180°C.
2. Place the eggs and the sugar in the bowl of a mixer and beat on high speed for around 5 minutes until you get a yellow and airy cream.
3. Lower the speed of the mixer and add the other ingredients. Add the flour at the end, and set the chocolate drink mix powder aside.
4. Take out a cup of the batter and mix with the chocolate drink mix powder.
5. Grease the pan and pour the pale batter in, followed by the dark batter, which we had set aside. Mix lightly to create a swirl effect but don’t over mix because we want the colors to remain distinct.
6. Bake for around 45 minutes or until the cake has set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool.
You can omit the chocolate drink mix powder and make an orange cake. You can serve it as is without the chocolate frosting or make a chocolate cream that you spread over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
*8. Break the chocolate into squares and place in a bowl. In a saucepan, heat the cream to almost boiling and pour over the chocolate. Mix until well combined and pour over the cake when it comes out of the oven.