Oven roasted veggies
This is one of my favorite recipes. It’s a great side dish that consists purely of veggies. My husband and I polish off the entire tray and I’m always sorry I didn’t make more. The potatoes come out tender and golden, the veggies taste great, and it really is an easy recipe that goes with any meal.
Makes 4 servings
3 large zucchini
1 large onion
2 sweet potatoes
3 cloves of garlic
1 Tbsp sweet paprika
1/2 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
1 Tbsp chicken bouillon
Ground black pepper
1. Preheat an oven to 180°C.
2. Peel and cut the potatoes into thick wedges. Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil. Cook the potatoes for 5 minutes and drain.
3. Cut the other vegetables into sticks. You don’t need to peel the zucchini. Slice the onion and garlic.
4. Put all the vegetables in a bowl, except for the onion, and add the oil, chili sauce, soy sauce and spices, mix well and add the honey. Arrange the vegetables on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and sprinkle the onion slices on top.
5. Bake for around 45 minutes or until everything is tender.
6. Because you don’t like it when I change the recipe, I’m adding the method I’ve been using lately to make the dish.
Heat an oven to 220°C. Place the thick potato wedges in the oven and drizzle with olive oil and salt. Bake for around 20 minutes (I skip the parboil stage) until they go a light golden color.
After seasoning the other vegetables (I reduce the amount of paprika to 1/2 tsp) sprinkle the potatoes and onion at the end, and bake at 180°C for around 45 minutes or until everything is soft. I prefer using zucchini instead of marrow and I added one large red pepper.
*Thick wedges – cut the potatoes in half, and then cut each half into three. For small potatoes, cut in half. If you prefer thinner wedges, cut into four instead of three.
Chinese Vegetable Fried Rice features in the photos