Parve Chocolate Rugelach
An easy and scrumptious make at home recipe that makes perfect chocolate rugelach! You can also freeze them and then reheat whenever you feel like having a treat.
Makes 32 chocolate rugelach
500 g flour (half a kilo)
Half a packet of fresh yeast / Tbsp dry yeast
60 g sugar (3 Tbsp)
1 egg yolk
120 ml oil (1/2 cup)
210 ml water
Parve chocolate spread of choice
1 egg, beaten
For the syrup:
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1. Mix flour, sugar, and yeast, and then add the remaining ingredients and work into a smooth dough. Let rise for one and a half to two hours, or until it has doubled in size.
2. Divide into four, roll into a 24 cm x 24 cm square and put chocolate spread over the entire square. Fold in half and roll into a thin rectangle. Straighten the sides and bottom. The rectangle should be 12 cm x 24 cm in size.
3. Cut into triangles and start rolling while gently stretching the dough (see video). Roll from the base to the tip of the triangle. Let rise for around 15 minutes.
4. Heat an oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Brush the rugelach with the beaten egg. Bake for 15 minutes until the rugelach are golden.
- *5. While the rugelach are in the oven, make the syrup. Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Brush the syrup over the warm rugelach when they come out of the oven.