Quick and easy vegetable fritters
Making fritters is one of the best things. I check to see what vegetables I have lying around and try to add a few colors to make them pleasing on the eyes as well. After all, we eat with our eyes first, don’t we?!
In 10 minutes you’ll have a plate full of golden veggie fritters on the table.
I tweaked this recipe to make it even better. I added a few more things on the side and it was perfection!
It’s great to start the week with yummy things.
1 medium onion
150 grams smoked turkey
2 small zucchinis
1 sweet potato
3 cloves of garlic
3 medium potatoes
90 grams flour
(1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp)
1 tsp salt
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Peel one potato and add to the pot, cooking until soft. Remove it and mash.
2. Chop the onion, put 3 Tbsp of oil in a pan and sauté the onion until translucent.
3. Peel the sweet potato, potatoes, and carrot. The zucchini doesn’t need to be peeled. Grate all the vegetables on the large holes of a box grater and add to the onion, along with the potato you mashed earlier.
4. Finely dice the smoked turkey and add to the vegetables along with the egg, flour, and salt.
5. Heat 3-4 Tbsp of oil in a pan. Form fritters and place in the hot pan, flattening slightly with a fork. Fry until the bottom is nice and golden and then gently flip and fry the other side until golden as well. Remove from the pan and place on a plate lined with paper towels, to drain.
6. If you prefer to bake, rather than fry: Heat an oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and grease the paper well. Arrange the fritters on the tray and bake for around 25 minutes. Ensure that the underside is golden before flipping. Bake for another 20 minutes, and check that it is indeed golden.
Served with baked oven chips, tomato salad, pita breads in the taboon, and tahini.
Good to know…
At first there’s no need to drain the liquids but later you’ll need to squeeze out the liquids before you place the fritters in the pan. Try and work quickly because the vegetables generate liquid and then it’s more difficult to make crispy fritters.
You can make this two days in advance and keep refrigerated. You can eat them hot, cold, or at room temperature. You only cook one potato, the others are grated raw.