Savory Cheese and Spinach Pastry
I love making things with this dough. This time I used spinach and cheese, which is a classic filling for savory pastries and one of my husband’s favorite things to eat. If I manage to find nice looking spinach at the store then I make this recipe.
Thin dough full of spinach and cheese, golden and delicious, which smells amazing. I stack these pastries up on a plate and serve with a plate of freshvegetables and savor every bite!
Makes 9 savory pastries
300 grams flour (2 cups + 2 Tbsp)
1/2 Tbsp dry yeast / 1/3 packet of fresh yeast
3/4 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
60 ml oil (1/4 cup)
160 ml warm water (1 cup minus 1/3 cup)
400 grams spinach
100 grams grated Tzfat cheese or other semi-hard cheese
100 grams grated cheese of choice
1/2 tsp salt
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the spinach for 5-6 minutes, then drain and squeeze out any excess moisture.
2. Place the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a mixer, add the oil and water and mix until you get a soft smooth dough. Place in a bowl, cover and let rise for around 30 minutes. On cooler days, let rise for longer.
3. Add the cheeses to the spinach and season with salt.
4. Divide the dough evenly into 5 balls, wait 10 minutes and roll each ball out into a thin rectangle. Place the filling over half of the dough and cover with the other half. Wait 10 minutes and roll out a bit into a thin rectangle.
5. Heat a pan with 2 Tbsp of oil and fry both sides of the rectangle until golden. Cut into strips / squares and enjoy!
6. Here’s another way to make this dish:
Divide the dough into nine balls and let rise for 10 minutes. Roll one ball out and place 1 heaped Tbsp of the filling in the center and pinch into a ball. Let rise for 20 minutes and flatten somewhat with your hand, then let rise again for another 20 minutes, flatten somewhat with your hand again and gently roll into a flat pita, 14 mm in diameter. Don’t worry if it tears a bit. Now work according to step 5.
7. If you prefer to bake them: Work according to step 6 and once the balls have risen, brush them with egg and bake for around 20 minutes at 180 degrees. You get buns filled with spinach and cheese.
Good to know…
You can freeze these and then reheat in the microwave. You can also add fried onion to the filling.