Stir fried rice and veggies
I love serving vegetables at every meal, especially when I entertain. This recipe covers two side dishes in one.
Basmati rice, which I’ve recently fallen in love with and keep making it, and all sorts of vegetables, so you get different flavors and beautiful colors that really add to the visual appeal of the dish.
I’ll tell you a little secret that before I add the vegetables I set a bit of rice aside for my younger kids, which are less enthusiastic about the mixed in veggies. That way, everyone gets to eat what they like. Place the bowl in the center of the table and watch it disappear like magic.
I have to say that I get excited by recipes like these. They’re simple and beautiful, and always a crowd pleaser.
1 cup basmati rice
1.5 cups water
1 large red pepper
1 large yellow pepper
One basket of champignon mushrooms
2 cloves of garlic
1 cup green beans (frozen)
1 Tbsp honey
Ground black pepper
1. Soak the rice in tap water for 15 minutes and drain. Don’t worry if the rice is still slightly wet.
2. Heat a small pot with 2-3 Tbsp of oil and add the rice, water and salt and bring to a boil. Cover and lower the heat. Cook for 30 minutes and leave covered for an additional 10 minutes.
3. In the meantime, until the rice is ready, cut the peppers and carrots into short strips. Heat a pan with 3 Tbsp of oil and add the vegetables and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes on high heat. Quarter the onion and slice thinly and add to the vegetables, continuing to stir-fry for around 2 minutes. Slice the garlic and add to the onion and continue stir-frying.
Cut the zucchini into sticks, no need to peel it, then add to the pan. The vegetables need to be tender crisp. Finally, add the green beans and stir-fry for around 2 minutes.
4. Add the honey, salt and pepper.
5. Remove around 1/3 of the vegetables. Add the rice to the pan and stir-fry all together for around 2 minutes, then remove from the heat.
6. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/3 of the vegetables that we set aside, over top.
Served with leek and vegetable fritters
Good to know…
This is a great recipe for leftover rice. The rice gets a second chance and a new look!
You can prepare the vegetables a day before. If the veggies are still somewhat watery after stir-frying, drain the liquid.
You can also use marrows if you don’t have zucchini. Want to turn this into a complete meal? Add some chicken breast, there are several marinades here, regular rice without pre-soaking it.