Strawberry cheesecake cake roll
Lately I’ve been in a nostalgic kind of mood and have been making old fashioned type cakes, such as this biscuit cake, which is one of the easiest I’ve made. Grandma’s sponge roulade is so easy and just as delicious but looks as if you worked 3 days to prepare it.
The expression “finger licking good” really applies to this cake. One of the tastiest cakes I’ve made and looks incredible.
Smooth cheese mousse, chunks of strawberries, and chocolate cream over everything. You’ll enjoy every scrumptious bite.
Makes 1 roulade
3 large eggs
100 grams sugar (1/2 cup)
2 Tbsp oil
100 grams flour (1/2 cup + 3 Tbsp)
For the cheese and strawberry mousse:
375 ml whipping cream (1.5 cups)
80 grams instant vanilla pudding powder mix (4 Tbsp)
80 g sugar (4 Tbsp)
4 Tbsp soft white cheese
60 ml milk (1/4 cup)
50 grams bittersweet chocolate
5 Tbsp whipping cream
1. Preheat an oven to 180°C.
2. Separate the eggs. Place the whites in a mixer and set the yolks aside in a separate bowl. Start whipping the egg whites on low speed. After about 10 seconds slowly add the sugar and while whipping, increase the speed to high for 5-6 minutes until you get stiff peaks.
3. Add the oil to the yolks and whip until well combined. Add the yolks to the whipped egg whites and fold until incorporated. Add the flour and fold until incorporated. Be patient, it takes time for the flour to incorporate into the mixture. Don’t mix or whip, gently fold.
4. Prepare a baking tray with parchment paper and pour the mixture into the center, evenly spread with a frosting spatula or a palette knife to a 30*25 cm rectangle. Place in the oven and bake until golden, around 15 minutes. During baking it rises a bit so don’t worry.
5. When you remove it from the oven roll it into a roulade and wait for it to cool.
6. To prepare the cheese mousse: Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a mixer and whip on high speed until you get a stable cream. Chop the strawberries into small chunks.
7. Open the roulade. It should unroll easily. Spread a layer of the mousse, sprinkle strawberry chunks and roll the roulade (without the parchment paper). Spread the remaining mousse over the outside of the roulade and refrigerate for a few hours.
8. Place the chocolate and the cream in a bowl and melt in the microwave, mixing until well combined. Drizzle over the roulade and refrigerate for another hour.
Good to know…
You can keep in the fridge for several days. If you make it without the strawberries, you can freeze it. You can prepare it without the cheese and use half a cup of milk. For a non-dairy version use the same amount of non-dairy cream substitute, and soy milk or non-dairy cream instead of the milk.
A very simple cake that makes a great impression, not to mention that it is a delight to eat.