Strawberry Nut Bars
These bars remind me of the ones my grandma used to make. A glass of chocolate milk next to a plate full of these bars takes me back 15 years to when my grandma would make them. A sweet and tasty trip down memory lane.
200 grams butter
100 grams sugar (1/2 cup)
190 grams flour (1.5 cups minus 2 Tbsp)
50 grams crushed walnuts
340 grams good quality strawberry jam
1. Cut the butter into small cubes and transfer to the bowl of a mixer. Add the other ingredients and mix on relatively low speed until you get a coarse crumb consistency. Stop the mixer and gather the dough into a ball.
2. Preheat an oven to 180°C.
3. Take 1/4 of the dough and set aside. Roll out the remaining dough on a sheet of parchment paper. The size should fit a 20 x 30 cm baking pan. Cut away the margins and add to the dough we set aside, keeping it in the freezer for now.
4. Bake the dough for 10 minutes, remove from the oven and wait a minute. In the meantime, heat the jam for 20 seconds in the microwave and stir. Spread evenly over the dough. Remove the dough from the freezer and grate it on the large holes of a box grater, sprinkling it evenly over the jam. Place back in the oven and bake for around 20 minutes or until golden.
5. Cool for a few hours before cutting into squares.