Upside-Down Apple and Honey Cake
Is there anything better than apple cakes? This is one of the easiest cakes to make, you don’t even need a mixer, just stir everything together and put it in the oven. I added a layer of apple slices and it really took the cake up a notch.
This dairy-free cake always gets devoured on the first day, it’s so good.
5-6 granny smith apples (or any other variety you have at home)
3 XL eggs
150 grams sugar (3/4 cup)
120 ml oil (1/2 cup)
2 Tbsp demerara sugar
1 heaped tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup honey
280 grams flour (2 cups)
2 tsp baking powder
1. Line the baking tin with parchment paper. Peel the apples and thinly slice three of them and arrange the slices along the bottom of the tin in a fan-like pattern. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle a small amount over the apple slices.
2. Dice the remaining apples and also any leftover apple slices from the first step.
3. Preheat an oven to 180°C.
4. In a bowl, mix ingredients in the following order: eggs, sugar, brown sugar, oil, honey, apples, whatever’s left of the cinnamon and brown sugar mixture, baking powder, and finally the flour. Mix until well combined and pour evenly over the sliced apples.
(You can do this step on low speed in the mixer).
5. Place in the oven and bake for around 45 minutes or until the cake is nice and golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6. Let the cake cool and then turn it over onto a serving plate. Carefully peel off the parchment paper, sprinkle with icing sugar, and serve.
Good to know…
You can prepare this two days in advance and keep refrigerated. You can use maple syrup or silan instead of the honey, or add another 1/4 cup sugar and leave it out altogether. You can use any type of apples you have at home. For a real treat, serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.