Cheesecake with crumbs
This cake always reminds me of the cakes they serve at cafes. I never understood why people pay a lot of money for a slice of cake, especially when you can make one just like it at home.
The cheese mousse is amazing and I admit that I eat it with a spoon because I can’t resist. When this comes together, it’s absolute heaven on a plate! The truth is that you don’t even need to serve it as a cake. Just serve the mousse with the crumbs on the side and you’re set.
Want to make a cake that looks impressive and tastes just as good ? Make this cake and you won’t regret it. Well, maybe just the fact that you’ll have a hard time controlling yourself…
24 cm baking pan
To prepare the crust:
250 grams flour (2 cups minus 3 Tbsp)
230 grams cold butter
1 egg yolk
100 grams powdered sugar
For the cheese mousse:
250 grams 9% soft white cheese
400 grams sour cream
200 grams sugar (1 cup)
1 tsp vanilla sugar
250 ml whipping cream
80 grams instant vanilla pudding powder mix (4 Tbsp)
120 ml milk (1/2 cup)
14 grams gelatin
1. Cut the butter into cubes and place in the bowl of a mixer. Add the other ingredients and mix until you get a coarse crumb consistency. Stop the mixer and gather the dough into a ball. Refrigerate for half an hour.
2. Preheat an oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
3. Cut 1/4 of the dough, grease the pan and flatten the other 3/4 onto the bottom of the pan. Flatten the smaller portion (for the crumbs) onto the bottom of a smaller pan. Bake both for 20 minutes or until the crust gets a bit golden. Note that the smaller portion will be ready before the larger portion.
4. To prepare the gelatin: Place the gelatin in a bowl and add 4 Tbsp of milk. Wait 10 minutes and heat in microwave for 30 seconds, on high. Let cool.
5.To prepare the cheese mousse: Place the cream, milk, and vanilla pudding mix into the bowl of a mixer. In a separate bowl, place the cheese, sour cream, sugar, and vanilla sugar. Let the dissolved gelatin cool for a minute or two, then add 3 Tbsp of the cheese to the dissolved gelatin and mix, and then add in to the rest of the cheese mixture.
6. Add the cheese mixture to the other ingredients in the mixer and whip until you get a stable mousse.
7. Transfer the cheese mousse evenly over the crust. Crumble the crust in the small pan and sprinkle it over the cheese mousse.
*8. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
Good to know…
You can substitute the sour cream with the same amount of soft white cheese. You can leave out the gelatin, make it several days ahead of time and freeze it. You can substitute the powdered sugar in the crust with 1/2 cup of sugar.