This is a perfect dish. The tomato sauce is delicious, and the mushroom filling is just divine. I kept tasting and tasting… I couldn’t stop. The cheeses lend their wonderful flavor.
And everything combined results in an irresistible vegetarian dish.
It’s really not complicated to make and the result is impressive. Cannelloni stuffed with cheese and mushrooms, how can you go wrong?
Makes 3-4 servings
1 package cannelloni
1 large onion
25 champignon mushrooms
1 cup grated cheeses(Mozzarella, Parmesan, Gouda, Kashkaval)
Ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
3 large tomatoes / 5 medium tomatoes
50 grams grated cheese
250 ml cream
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sweet paprika
1.5 cups water
1 Tbsp chicken bouillon
Ground black pepper
1. To prepare the filling: Heat a pan with 3 Tbsp of oil, chop the onion and sauté until translucent. Finely dice the mushrooms and add to onion. Sauté for a few more minutes while stirring. Season and remove from the heat. Let cool and add the cheeses.
2. To prepare the tomato sauce:
Chop the onion. Heat a pan with 2 Tbsp of oil and sauté the onion until golden. Finely dice the tomatoes and add to the onion. Add the water, sugar, and spices. Cook for around 10 minutes, then add the cream. Cook for another minute, taste to adjust seasoning, and remove from the heat.
3. Preheat an oven to 180°C.
4. Use your clean hands to stuff the cannelloni with the mushrooms. Place 3 Tbsp of the sauce along the bottom of the baking pan, and place the cannelloni on top, then cover with the remaining sauce and sprinkle the cheeses.
5. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
Good to know…
You can peel the tomatoes beforehand if you want. When the sauce is ready, you can blend it in a blender or using an immersion blender before adding the cream. This is best prepared a day or two before. Freezer friendly.
You can use whatever cheeses you like.
You don’t need to precook the cannelloni. Don’t fill the cannelloni beforehand.
If the tomatoes are super ripe, add 2 Tbsp of tomato paste when cooking the sauce. You can leave the cream out if you want. Unbelievably tasty!