Meal in a pita
Not a complicated meal but it made several children (and adults) very happy. Just picture kids coming home from school and this meal is waiting for them on the table. They’ll jump from joy. It’s also a great way to get them to eat vegetables.
Juicy meatballs with potatoes. I served it all in a pita with vegetables and it was devoured. Meatballs and tomato make a tasty bite when eaten together.
All the delicious juices from the meatballs get soaked up by the pita. So what are you waiting for? Go make this.
Makes 20 meatballs
250 grams ground chicken
250 grams ground beef
1 tsp minced garlic
1 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp paprika
1/3 tsp crushed chili flakes
1 Tbsp chicken bouillon
Ground black pepper
Salt (if needed, to taste)
5 pitas, cut into quarters
1. I start with the three potatoes. Slice them thinly, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the slices for 5-6 minutes, then drain. The slices should be soft but not falling apart. Drain and let cool.
2. To prepare the meatballs:
Chop the onion, put 2 Tbsp of oil in a pan and sauté the onion until golden. Grate the other two potatoes and mix all the ingredients together and form meatballs.
3. Heat 3-4 Tbsp of oil in a pan and place a meatball in the pan. Fry for a couple of seconds and take a potato masher and squash the meatball a bit. Fry until golden on both sides.
4. Fry the potato slices until golden on both sides. Since they have been parboiled, this stage happens quickly. Remove from the pan and sprinkle with salt.
5. Place a meatball, slice of potato and slice of tomato in each quarter pita. Take a bit. Heaven!