Mini spinach and Cheese puff pastry
I love cheese pastries and it’s one of my favorite things to cook. Shavuot is such a delightful holiday for me
I love incorporating strong quality cheeses into my baking and cooking endeavors.
I added spinach to the cheeses and it really is a great match.
Need a fool-proof recipe to serve your guests? Make these little treats.
They’re so tasty, you’re going to love them.
Makes 16 pastries
400 grams spinach
1 kg puff pastry (package)
2 cloves of garlic
100 grams grated cheese of choice
50 grams Kashkaval cheese
3 Tbsp cottage cheese
Ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten, for the egg wash
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil, place the spinach in the pot and cook until soft 6-7 minutes. Drain (careful, it’s hot) and once it has cooled right down, squeeze out all the excess moisture.
2. Chop the spinach and transfer to a bowl. Now chop the onion, heat a pan with 2 Tbsp of oil and sauté the onion until it starts to go golden. Chop the garlic and add to the onion in the pan and sauté until lightly golden.
3. Add the sautéed onion and garlic to the spinach along with the cheeses and the egg and mix until well combined.
4.Cut the dough into 7 x 7 cm squares. Grease a muffin tray and insert a square of dough into one of the wells. Repeat with the other wells.
5. Preheat an oven to 180°C.
6. Fill the squares with a heaped teaspoon of the filling, brush the sides of the dough with the egg wash and bake for around 25 minutes or until the dough is golden.
Good to know…
It’s best to cook the spinach a day before. Freezer-friendly.